Charging Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Charging Question
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:06:53 EST
This one comes from a friend and TR3 owner who has a charging system
question. "When I run my car at night w/ the lights on, the amp gauge reads 0
as it
should. But when I put on the high beams (into to which the driving lights are
wired) the gauge dives drastically to the negative side, sometimes actually
getting mechanically "stuck" at the stop pin. Then I have to tap it on it's
side,
after which it comes back to read slightly negative. This makes me think that
the generator is not keeping up with the electrical draw, thereby depleting
the battery charge. Does that sound right?"

Any takers on this?

TIA,

Bill Stagg
1960 TR3A