Re: TR3A 10"rear brakes wheel cylinders, etc.

To: <Popnglo@aol.com>, <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A 10"rear brakes wheel cylinders, etc.
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:11:44 -0500
Guys-
You do NOT want SMOOTH brake drums! Drums get glazed, and lose their
gripability. You need the texture given by even just a clearing pass of the
brake drum cutter. Otherwise, you lose braking action due to the lack of
grip. Also, even though they look in good shape, drums will have a little
surface warp to them, and cutting trues them up properly, getting rid of
pedal vibration in the process caused by the drum being a little tighter
here, a little looser there, and the shoes going in and out with each
variance, which in turn plays the cylinders backwards, resulting  in the M/C
giving that fun little pump to your foot. The warp comes from the heat build
up- which is un even usually due to the fact you brake and hit a different
section of the drum each time, and for different amounts of time- it is not
like you hit exactly the same spot, same duration each time.You create nice
hot spots. The heat does dissipate- part of the design- but you still get
this wear effect. Even if you're laying up the spare set- get them cut, then
coat them with a preservative, you can clean it off later, and have good
drums ready to go.  So remember- Smooth brake drum- BAD, Properly finished
brake drum surface GOOD.

Scott