RE: TR3A Headlights

To: <TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Headlights
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:09:40 -0800
> I've read the posts about the woes of the stock generator, which
> I'll be using
> when my frame off is complete.  So I'm particularly interested in
> "you all's"
> advice on a headlight conversion system (and vendor) for a TR3A,
> a conversion
> that won't suck extra amps from the woeful generator, but will deliver a
> brighter view of the road ahead for someone sadly likely to be
> outgunning his
> light supply on deserted nightime back country New Hampshire
> roads.

Terry, my suggestion for a vendor would be
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
and for your situation, I'd recommend the
"7" Convex/Dome-face H4 high/low beam" (without city lights)
plus
"60/55W Osram Super High Efficiency Plus 50"
bulbs.

You could ask him about the "highly domed R2" lamps but I think the ones
above will look better and H4 quartz halogen bulbs are far more common
(readily available at most auto parts stores).

If small alterations are acceptable to you, I'd also consider adding fuses
and relays into the headlight circuit.  This can be done without making any
permanent modifications to the car or wiring harness (although you may have
to get a bit creative with the relay mounting).  The original headlight
circuit was completely unfused, so a short means first the wiring harness
melts down and then usually the headlight switch dies.  BTDT, T-shirt caught
fire ...

I've been considering writing an article on the subject of brighter lights
for the club newsletter ... if I actually do it I'll post it here.
Basically similar to Chris K's article at
http://www.dimebank.com/Light-up.html
but in a slightly different format.

Oh, and I wouldn't mess with the stuff being advertised on eBay.  That's
where I got the ones currently on my TR, but it was enough of a hassle that
when I bought lamps for the Stag, I went to Daniel (link above).  His prices
are a bit higher, but IMO it's worth it to have a salesperson that is
interested in what you need, instead of what he can make the most money on.
The quality of the ones I got from eBay is dubious, too.

NFI, just a satisfied customer.

Randall