RE: Transmission Shift Lever Cap Removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission Shift Lever Cap Removal
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:11:49 -0800
Took me a bit ... I think Terry is talking about the stamped steel cap that
holds the shift lever pivot to the gearbox extension.

Get a punch (aka drift) and a BFH (2 lb should be about right for this).
Catch just the cap at the upper edge of the holes on the sides, and tap
upwards.  Alternate sides until it comes off.  Try not to gouge the aluminum
(but mine is somewhat gouged and it doesn't seem to hurt anything).   Dress
down the burrs on the cap when you get it off, and smear with anti-seize
when you reassemble.

Used caps aren't too hard to find, but be warned there are several different
styles; the crash box cap is different than the early 4-synchro, and there
were several different 4-synchro varieties.

Randall