Master Cylinder Question

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Master Cylinder Question
From: "dconnitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:54:25 -0500
List,
About a year ago, I purchased a set of master cylinders (brake & clutch)
for my TR4A. Neither of the master cylinders have reservoirs! I have
tried to contact the vendor I purchased them from and have had no luck
but that is not the purpose of this request.
After a bit of noodling on this predicament, I have been considering
keeping these master cylinders and using them to build a dual brake
master cylinder setup similar to what I have seen from a couple of
vendors. I have decided to use the Toyota 4 piston front calipers when I
get to the front suspension rebuild. One point mentioned in the write up
of the caliper switch was the larger piston surface area of the Toyota
calipers uses up a lot of brake pedal travel on the stock brake master
cylinder. I would think that the two master cylinder setup would solve
this problem. In addition to that, I would have the added safety of a
dual master cylinder brake system. I added a section to my restoration
website which shows pictures of the mystery master cylinders.
Having said that, I can get to my questions;
1. Does anybody have any idea what these are off of?
2. Does anybody know of a place where I can get rebuilding kits for
these master cylinders?
3. Does anybody have any suggestions on how best to plumb in a reservoir
for the dual master cylinder?
4. Should I use two reservoirs or one?
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Dave Connitt

Dave Connitt
Cincinnati, OH