Shipping body parts?

To: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shipping body parts?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:10:34 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i1NEG48A007190
Message text written by "Mark J. Bradakis"
>So how does one ship such an item?  Just stick a label on it somewhere and
haul it down to UPS?  Wrap it in cardboard, build a crate, ship it via
truck
or Greyhound or ??  And what are some example prices for doing so?
<

Why not?  If the body part in question is in less than pristine condition
and is replaceable (e.g. the multitude of TR6 hoods that you have) stick a
lable on it and drive it down to the UPS office.  If it gets bent send out
another one.

 You could throw it in a box.  If the part is particularaly nice and/or
rare you might consider reinforcing the corners of the cardboard box with
2X2 lumber.  This will make the box about 300% stronger.  It will also cost
quite a bit more (if you account for your time).  Building a wood crate can
be quite expensive, will add considerable weight but will be the minimum
you need if you ship by freight, in my opinion.  We used to ship the
machines we preduce via a freight carrier on pallets with a 4X4X4 carboard
box on it and they would almost routinely top load someting on top of our
boxes which could not stand up to it and then we have to file a claim.
(That line is in recievership.  Coincidence?  perhaps)  We found that
wooden crates were necessary.  UPS, FedX and USPS are more carefull (a
relative term indeed).

But all of the above options are cheaper than driving it there if the
distance is over 200 miles or so.

Dave