Re: TR4 Questions on Originality - Underhood

To: "INTERNET:AVALON2455@aol.com" <AVALON2455@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Questions on Originality - Underhood
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:54:32 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, vafred@erols.com i1NDv98A006475
Message text written by INTERNET:AVALON2455@aol.com
>I'm sorry...........I just can't understand what the secret is???    You
know
like the 3rd Grade........teacher marks on your paper in red, what is wrong

and thus why you got a C+ instead of a B.............<g>...........it's the

teacher's job<

Clark, the difference is the teacher gets paid for it.  The teacher went to
school for several years to learn how to do this.  But each year, Darrell
send out a plea each year for judges.  He leans heavily on those who have
served in the past.  Darrell, his-own-self, volunteers lots of his own time
to pull this off with no compensation what-so-ever.  My hat's off to him.
He offered me the job and I hightailed it as quickly as I could.  The
judges receive an hour's training (assembly hall stuff, not one-on-one)
before the big day, not years of training and study groups and testing
and...

Now if these hard won (i.e. coerced) judges were set upon by disgruntled
car owners saying things like "What the HELL do you mean deducting 3 points
for worm drive hose clamp!" do you think that person would volunteer the
next year.  Well, considering the fact that he was doing it more as a favor
to the VTR and to fellow hobbiests and for the betterement of the total VTR
experience, not likely.  He/she is not getting paid enough for that kind of
abuse.  This is supposed to be FUN!

Another thing to keep you are not likely to get the same judges one year to
the next.  And if you go to TRA and to VTR you will most likely not get the
same judges.  IF you did get the evaluation sheets from the judges one year
they may have let pass things upon which the judges the following year will
ding you.

If you want to learn more on where to improve your car I suggest you
volunteer as a judge.  This way you will learn to think like a judge, you
will learn the philosophy used by the current crop of judges, you will be
doing the community a service and you can be your own worse judge which
will allow you to correct the flaws before you go into competition.  I
started judging TR7's and 8's when I started my restoration project for the
express purpose of knowing what details to watch during the restoration.
Best way to learn.

A quicker method is to seek out a knowledgeable person and ask for a
personal evaluation.  This may cost you a beer or a steak dinner (or more).

Rant off.

Dave Massey
VTR judge 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003