Ignition Wires

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition Wires
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:02:53 -0800 (PST)
Greetings, Listers...

I have a question for you all.

I am running the same spark plug wires on my car that came with it when I
bought it 6 years ago. I have no idea how old they are, but they are 7mm
resistor core and a bit tired looking.

I was thinking I would replace them with solid core wires if I could find
them in 7mm. It appears to me the distributor cap wouldn't accept any
larger wires than 7mm, but maybe there are other caps out there?

I have the 90 degree style cap that has brass needles you screw into the
wire jacket from the inside of the cap. OEM design as far as I know.

Questions:

1. Is anybody running wires out there in excess of 7mm? If so, are you
using a stock dizzy cap?

2. Can anyone reccomend an internet source for a solid core set of wires
that would fit?

I tried in vain to get some 'universal' wires from one of these 'Peppy
Kragen Zone' places and had one of 'THOSE EXPERIENCES'

Counter Jockey: Can I help you?

Jeffrey: Yes, I'm wondering if you sell a universal 4 cylinder spark plug
wire kit.

CJ: (Focusing on his orange monocrome monitor) What kind of car?

J: I don't think you're going to find it in your computer. I'm looking
more for some sort of universal kit.

CJ:(Still focused on the monitor) What kind of car?

J: Triumph

CJ: Motorcyle?

J: <SIGH> CAR.

CJ: What year?

J: 1962

CJ: What model?

J: (Fleeting moment of hope) What models do you list?

CJ: I don't list anything for that year.

J: Right. Look, do you sell a universal kit, you know, where you cut the
wires to length, so you can make it fit any application?

CJ: (Clearly irritated with this arse wanting parts for a car made over 20
years before he was born) I don't think I'm going to have anything that
will fit that car, sir.

J: (Gritting teeth as I know there are probly 50 sets of wires on the
shelves behind him that could EASILY be made to work, but the gulf of
ignorance and fundamental lack of understanding of the product he sells
FOR HIS LIVING between me and them makes them unreachable.) Um, you know
what? It's not that important. Thanks for trying.

The hardware store I go to has several 'old guys' who are so sharp and so
quick to pick up on what you're tring to do, and they know, THEY ACTUALLY
KNOW where everything is in the store and what the heck what the hardware
is for.....I wish those guys sold car parts. To the credit of the hardware
store, which is corporate mind you, they VALUE these guys for their
knowledge and experience. Sure, there's a bunch of young people there
too....but in those departments where know-how and practical experience
counts for a LOT you'll find the older employees.

I wonder when or if the big parts chains will figure this out?

Sorry for the rant and thanks for any leads.

-jeffrey