Re: TR2 Steering Box - Stuck rocker shaft

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR2 Steering Box - Stuck rocker shaft
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:41:43 -0700
Dan Buettner wrote:

> Go to your local auto or farm parts store or Sears and buy a small
> 3-prong-style brake cylinder hone and some cutting oil (I personally
> have used 3-in-1 household oil for this, but the real stuff might be
> better).

FWIW, the TRF Glove Box Companion (at least the version in my glove box)
has a fairly detailed tech article on this subject... it suggests using
a small cylinder hone to prepare a 'snug hand fit (not press fit)'.

No difference from what Dan B suggests just a 2nd opinion.

BTW, I recently installed the modified steering box top plate available
from Herman van den Akker that has a spring-loaded adjustment screw.
This was recommended in a recent post by Bill Pugh.  Quite an
improvement in steering.  Not a substitute for a rebuild on a well-worn
box but mine has slight wear that left more play than I liked or, if I
adjusted it out, made the steering tighter than seemed prudent.  Now it
feels fine from lock to lock.  Looks very close to original -- has a
9/16" adjustment screw instead of 7/16" or whatever is original.  The
larger screw diameter is probably needed to allow for machining the hole
for the spring & plunger.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
Mt Lemmon, AZ