RE: TR2 Steering Box - Stuck rocker shaft

To: "Dan Buettner" <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR2 Steering Box - Stuck rocker shaft
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@nexant.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:42:07 -0600
> Go to your local auto or farm parts store or Sears and buy a small
> 3-prong-style brake cylinder hone and some cutting oil (I personally

First, let me preface this comment with the statement that I have never
replaced the bushing referred to, nor have I ever seen it.  However, I am
assuming it is bronze, because that is typical for such a bushing.  Often,
such bushings are designed to be reamed to size after installation.  Reamers
are available from industrial supply shops and you would need to buy one
that will give you enough clearance for the shaft to turn smoothly inside
the bushing.  Often, during its manufacture, the shaft is ground slightly
under the nominal diameter of the shaft, so that a standard reamer can be
used to finish the hole diameter to the correct running fit.  You will have
to measure the shaft to see if this is the case.  If not, adjustable reamers
are available that enable you to ream the hole to the size you need.  A
15/16" to 1 1/16" adjustable hand reamer is available from McMaster Carr for
about $50.

I suggest this as an alternative to the brake cylinder hone because, when
you try to remove bronze (or many other non-ferrous metals) with any kind of
an abrasive material, the abrasive matrix fills up with the removed material
and becomes "unabrasive" fairly quickly.  But, either method will get you
where you need to be, eventually.

Michael Marr
Naperville, IL
1960 TR3A