Not mindless vandalism at all...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Not mindless vandalism at all...
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:26:07 +0000
Dear All,

I live in a pleasant middle-class neighbourhood in a quiet market town
in a green and prosperous English county.   I am not the only classic
car fan in the area - within a few yards of my house are a 1920s Bentley
open tourer, an Austin 7, a couple of Morris Minors, a Wolseley Hornet,
a GT6, a 1960s Alfa-Romeo convertible, an MGB, a Reliant Scimitar, and
even another Triumph Herald.   As the area is almost exclusively made up
of late-Victorian and early-Edwardian houses, few of us have garages,
and so we park on the street.   Last night I came home from a fireworks
display at about 9.30, to find that my Spitfire had had its door mirrors
smashed and wrenched off.   This has happened on several occasions in
the past.

What surprises me this time is that when I reported the crime to the
Police, they told me that large numbers of classic cars in the area had
been targeted last night, with mine ('77) being the newest.   The oldest
so far reported is a '59 Morris Minor that had had every single piece of
window glass smashed.

Can anyone even begin to imagine a reason why a vandal would set out
deliberately to smash up classics?   Particularly when some of them were
hardly in concourse condition in the first place?   Why hit a Spit when
you could mangle a Merc, or bash a BMW?

Wrecking a Spitfire is bad enough, but smashing up a car as cute as a
split-screen Moggy Minor is akin to kicking puppies.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671