TR 6 Handbrake

To: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Subject: TR 6 Handbrake
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:44:39 -0500
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net> iB7ClxAC018900
Message text written by "Gerald M Van Vlack"
>Funny, not a single TR6 owner spoke up. Is that then to say the handbrake
on a
TR6 works so much better than a 4A? They appear to be of the same design.

Also, are the very latest TR6's equipped with a handle that ratchets in a
locking position while applied needing the button to be depressed all the
while during disengagement of the brake? More like the Honda's and others
of
today that have console mounted handbrakes.

If so then maybe I'll convert to a TR6 system as soon as I can get a new
handle from my local bone yard.
<

Anecdotal, but the parking brake on my TR6 works great!  I can park on my
driveway (which has a significant slope) and a gentle pull on the handle
will hold the car fast.  When I park my TR8 on the same slope I must press
the foot brake and grab the handle and pull with both hands.  And the TR3
won't hold no matter what I do. (but the TR3's cable has streached and I
run out of ratchet before it grabs well.  I have new cables but have yet to
install.)

It would be a neat experiment to try the swap.  I am not familiar with the
interchangeability of the two mechanisms but since they both mount in the
same location one would assume that the only thing that changed is the
ratchet mecanism (fly-off vs fly-on) but then we all know the definition of
ass/u/me.

You should give it a go and let us know what happens.  If you need a TR6
lever let me know, I'll check my junk pile...er parts bin.   Of course
there could be other differences that account for a more effective TR6
parking brake and it is not in the lever at all.

Dave