RE: Wiring Help 56TR3

To: "harold Sawatsky" <hsawatsk@sasktel.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wiring Help 56TR3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:47:22 -0800
> I could really use some help tonight. Keep in mind wiring is my worst
> nightmare.
> I'm trying to wire the dash using the diagram from the original
> service manual.

I'm pretty sure the wiring to your wiper motor is wrong in the original service
manual.  The diagram is for an early non-self-parking motor, but I'm pretty sure
your 56 will have the later self-parking model.  That means the wiper switch
connects to ground, not 12v; and there is a separate green wire from the fuse
block to the wiper motor.  I see John has sent you Dan Master's diagrams, you
can see this change in the 3A/B diagram.  It also means the green wire to the
heater control cannot connect to the wiper switch as mentioned in the service
manual ... I believe the factory solution was to connect it to the fuel gage
(with the other green wire from the fuse block).

Unless strict originality is important to you, I'd also suggest incorporating
the in-line fuse for the tail lights, as the later models did.  Again, you can
see this change in the TR3A/B diagram (although your car will have a switch
rather than the rheostat shown in the diagram, the connections are the same).

> I have a new harness from TRF. In the diagram, the
> Brown with Blue #36 goes from the control box to the Lighting Switch
> A and then to the ignition switch (by the way all switches are new).
> How can I tell which contact is A on the Lighting Switch?

As John said, it's usually marked on the back of the switch.  If yours isn't
marked, or you don't want to pull it out of the dash, then pull the switch out
to the first position and check for continuity between the terminals.  Only two
of the three terminals will show continuity, one of them is A.  (It actually
doesn't matter which one, either one will work.)

> Also, which warning light is for the Ignition and which is the
> Direction warning light - red or yellow and which is on what side.

John covered this.

Also not shown anywhere is the ground wire for the fuel gauge.  I believe the
factory installed one though, with a ring terminal to fit over one of the gauge
mounting studs (between the bracket and the nut) and the other end connected
into the junction on the back of the dash panel.  There may have been a
lockwasher between the terminal and nut, in any case it's a good idea too.  I'm
less certain the factory ran a ground wire for the speedo & tach, but it's a
good idea, IMO.

Before connecting the battery for the first time, I would suggest temporarily
wiring in a spare headlight bulb between the battery & starter solenoid.  That
will let you check most circuits for shorts without the danger of frying your
new harness.  A headlight bulb will pass enough current to power everything but
the starter, horns or headlights.  For the headlights, it light but not full
brightness if there is no short.

HTH
Randall Y