RE: Cam timing revisited

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Cam timing revisited
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:08:08 -0800
> With all the work on my rocker set up I am beginning to think I may
> not have set the cam timing correctly. Can somebody clarify a few
> points for me please.
> 1. Standing at the front of the engine, facing the crank pulley,
> which way does the engine rotate in normal operation, clock or anti
> clock?

Clockwise.  Putting it another way, the tops of the pulleys move away from the
carburetors.

> 2. If when setting my cam with my timing disc bolted to the crank,
> having found true TDC on crank and point of balance on the cam. I
> then rotate the crank Anticlockwise to the relevant position
> 108degrees I think. Is this the correct direction of rotation?

Not sure why you're moving to 108, but that sounds like the wrong direction.  As
I'm sure you know, it's important to turn the right direction as otherwise the
slack in the chain will change the relative positions.  The chain tensioner is
not strong enough to turn the camshaft.

> 3. Is there a way of checking cam timing with everything back in
> place, i.e timing cover, cyl. head?

Yes.  The stock cam should be timed with TDC corresponding to the "point of
balance".  With everything assembled, you can verify TDC with a piston stop
(mine is a bolt threaded into a spark plug shell).  Turn the engine each way
(gently !) until the piston hits the stop.  Halfway in between those two points
is TDC.  With TDC accurately marked, you can find the point of balance by
checking valve gaps.  Then measure how close to TDC you are along the rim of the
crank pulley.  If memory serves, 4 degrees (which is about the limit for
'normal' cam timing error) is about 3/8" of an inch.

Let me know if you need more detail.
Randall Y