Re: Exhaust recommendations

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Exhaust recommendations
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:44:30 EST
In a message dated 1/15/05 10:46:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dmallin@attglobal.net writes:

<< Getting to the point, it had a stainless exhaust and he said he didn't
like the note, and wished he
 would have used mild steel. I never heard it. >>

Mild steel is what we used to use, lasted a few years or less in the salty
NE.  When unleaded fuel arrived, exhaust life got much better.  ( Leaded fuel
has a scavenger additive to remove excessive lead from combustion surfaces.
This additive is corrosive and a major cause of short exhaust life, corroded
fuel
systems and dormant engines getting stuck. Be grateful leaded road fuel is
gone in the US and going away in other parts of the world. )

Later came aluminized exhaust this increased life and is fine for general
use.

Later came stainless exhaust, mostly for heat resistance between the cat
converter and engine.  Chrysler was a early adopter of full stainless exhaust.
Factory stainless is lower grade magnetic because crack resistance is preferred
over shine.

Last year I changed the muffler on my Dads 88 Dodge Caravan with 180,000
miles. The clamps had rotted off years ago, exhaust pies fine but the muffler
finally started cracking due to many thermal cycles.

Harold