Re: UK to US English

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: UK to US English
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:58:32 -0800
Oh golly where to start?

> British Term    US Equivalent
>
> Bonnet              Hood
>
> Boot                  Trunk
>
> Cosset              Pamper
>
> Hood                 Roof
hood = soft top
Sticks = soft top bows
Salon = Four door car
coupe = 2 door hard top car
Drop head coupe = soft top version of a coupe, same trim
Roadster =  Vehicle model that does not come in a hard to version
Sometimes primary difference can be a significantly different interior
trim from the drop head coupe version.
Classic roadster = a roadster with side curtains instead of roll up windows
spanner = wrench
adjustable spanner = adjustable wrench
gearbox = transmission
tarmac = pavement
wings = fenders
windscreen = windshield
prop shaft = drive shaft
bulkhead = firewall
Caravan = travel trailer
Scuttle = that band of metal that goes between the bonnet and cockpit
AKA cowl.
Rear scuttle = That band of metal between the cockpit and boot
Scuttle vent = an air vent on the scuttle or cowl vent
Damper = shock absorber
Dynamo = generator
earth = electrical ground
halfshaft = single axle shaft
Kick panel = panel near your foot between your foot and the outside.
Knackered  = worn out
Silencer  = muffler
Sill panel = rocker panel
Tickover  = idle speed
Wiring loom = wiring harness
tappet = rocker arm
braking yard = wrecking yard
breaking up = dismantling
fixings = the nuts & bolts that holds something together.
tommy bar = crow bar
paraffin = kerosene = coal oil

There are more but I'll leave those to others

TeriAnn
Who has owned only British cars for so long thinks the UK terms are the
normal ones used and who occasionally has problems communicating with
other Americans.  Also who knows there is nothing a nice cuppa tea can
not help to overcome.  I'm not really an Anglophile, I just happen to
like British cars, tea and English humor.