RE: UK to US English

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: UK to US English
From: "StevesTR" <StevesTR@veroquest.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:01:25 -0800
After working on some projects with some British engineering colleagues,
I noticed that they used a lot of words to talk about broken things. I
like to think of these when I am fixing the car.

Please forgive me if some of these are incorrect.

-Steve
'74 TR6

Knackered = Broken
Kacked = Broken
Buggered (Slang used in the mechanical context) = Broken
Gone Walkies = Broken but still in motion.
Dodgy = About to be broken
Phut = Broken and cant be fixed again.
Tits up = Broken
Bodge = A poorly done repair of something that will end up broken again.
Cheesy = A poorly done repair of something that may as well still be
broken.
Ropey = Not broken - yet - but is not working well.
Crumbs = What you might say when your Bodge fails.
Nick = Taking a part from one of your "parts cars" to repair your broken
car.
Niggle = Something that might sound broken but some keeps working
anyway.
Pair Shaped = Something off balance like a vibrating drive shaft. Will
probably result in broken u-joints eventually.
Wonky = Maybe not quite broken but not really working correctly.
Scupper = What happens to your day of driving when something in the car
breaks.
Squiffy = What broken and worn out parts look like.