Re: UK to US English

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: UK to US English
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:20:46 +0000
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, at around 09:01:25 local time, StevesTR
<StevesTR@veroquest.com> wrote:
>After working on some projects with some British engineering colleagues,
>I noticed that they used a lot of words to talk about broken things. I
>like to think of these when I am fixing the car.
>
>Please forgive me if some of these are incorrect.

>Pair Shaped = Something off balance like a vibrating drive shaft. Will
>probably result in broken u-joints eventually.

Dear Steve,

It's "pear-shaped" and it rarely has anything to do with shape (or
balance, or alignment).   "It's all gone pear-shaped" is just another
British term for what I believe is known in America as "FUBAR" or "It's
all gone horribly wrong".

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671