RE: sheet metal nuts and bolts

To: <triumphs-digest@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: sheet metal nuts and bolts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:01:26 -0800
> My question for those who have "been there done that", does anyone see a
> problem with replacing these sheet metal fasteners with a regular nut
> and bolt  set up?

Yes!  In some cases, you cannot access the nut with the car assembled.  Most of
them can be accessed with some difficulty but a few are simply impossible.

If you can access them, then it's a simple matter to clamp some vice grips over
the cage, which will lock the cage to the nut (and possibly rip the cage away
from the sheet metal).

Consider too what the odds are that you'll be trying to remove them again in 45
years.  I went with the original design (after having the same problems you did)
and they came off fine 10 years later.

> Using body shop terminlogy, when removing them, I had to resort to
> "sometimes you have to do some damage to do less damage" All of the
> fasteners  are now
> history and I would rather relocate new nuts and bolts than replace  the
> fasteners.

Whatever you chose to do, be sure to coat the threads with anti-seize on
reassembly.

Randall