Re: Guages

To: "Undisclosed.Recipients": ;
Subject: Re: Guages
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:44:48 -0500
On Monday 14 February 2005 09:19 pm, Randall wrote:
> > Question:  It would be nice for guages to match.  Is there a
> > technical reason
> > why substituting SunPro for all the center console guages isn't
> > feasible?  The
> > look isn't that far off.
>
> Two things off-hand :
>
> 1) Not all SunPro gauges match ... if you order from JCW there's a good
> chance you'll be unhappy with what you get.
>
> 2) I think it's unlikely you'll find a SunPro that will work with the
> original TR3 fuel sender.  Or a matching sender that will "bolt in" to the
> TR3 tank.
>
> One other suggestion, you might consider an early TR4 electrical temp
> gauge. They look identical, and can frequently be found used for more
> reasonable prices.  Probably not $17.99, but maybe $25 or $30 on eBay.
> They're more rugged than the TR3 gauge, IMO.  You'll also need a matching
> sender & voltage stabilizer, and some simple wiring changes.
>
> Randall

Randall is right. I performed this mod on my TR3A way back in 1980 and it
still works. I didnt have a functioal TR3 guage and Ebay wasnt invented yet!
The gauge I installed reads in Celsius. See the TR4 wiring diagram in order
to make the necessary wiring enhancements with the voltage stabillizer and
sensor. I was lucky. When I got my TR3, it came with an assortment of both
TR3 and TR4 guages along with a stabilizer.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1963 TR4
1974 T140V
1998 T-Bird T-3

As Randall said, they are always on Ebay.