Re: Guages

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Guages
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:33:30 -0800
2) I think it's unlikely you'll find a SunPro that will work with the
> original TR3 fuel sender.  Or a matching sender that will "bolt in" to the
> TR3 tank.

Most British cars have a standard sending unit mounting arrangement to
fit standard Lucas/Smiths sender units.  Last time I looked there was a
Lucas universal sending unit available.  It consists of a sender unit
with a short rod, a long rod attached to a float and a couple crimps.
You attach the rods, adjust to the length you need, crimp then solder
the clamps and you have a sender unit to fit your fuel tank.

Here is the kicker, the universal sender units are wound for fuel gauges
that came on factory built negative earth cars.

Sender units are wound in opposite directions for neg. earth and pos.
earth cars.  The gauges are also made differently as well.  If you mix
sender units and gauges the reading will be off and in the opposite
directions.  You can amaze your fiends as the fuel level indicator shows
fuel levels increasing as you drive.

If you go to a negative earth Lucas sender unit you need to also swap in
a Lucas/Smiths fuel gauge set up for a factory negative earth car.

I don't know about anyone else but Land Rover parts houses that cater to
series Land Rovers often stock the Lucas universal sender unit.

TeriAnn

Who has 3 universal Lucas sending units (one for each fuel tank) in her
Land Rover attached to factory negative earth '68 or newer MGB fuel
gauges.  And a TR6/GT6 water temperature gauge with the electric sending
unit screwed into a Ford 302 engine (Also in the Land Rover)