RE: sandblasting equipment

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: sandblasting equipment
From: "Tobin, Greg" <Greg.Tobin@trizetto.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:05:52 -0700
Re:
>Never under any conditions use sand to blast, very unsafe, for heavy metal
or
>heavy rust use "Black Beauty" fine (not course). $9.00 for 150 lbs.  "FT"

  Why not use regular sand?  I ask, as I live somewhat near the middle of
nowhere, and have done sandblasting outside, where the retention of the
media (filtered playground sand) isn't an issue.  Aside from the silica
issue, for which I use a full painters mask (the nice kind, not just a paper
filter).  I haven't found any problems yet (with the metal, but I really
haven't done a lot of it yet- should I be concerned?

thanks!
-greg