RE: sandblasting equipment

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: sandblasting equipment
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:22:59 -0800
> Just from my list reading, make sure you get the best compressor you can
> buy, not one from Home Depot or Lowes.

My HD occasionally carries a "big enough" compressor.

>  The 220 volt will be cheaper to run  than
> the 120 volt they say.

The real problem is that you cannot run a decent sized compressor on a 110v
service, they simply need too much power.  In reality, a standard 110v outlet
can only produce about 1 real horsepower, which just isn't enough for a serious
compressor.  An honest 5 horsepower is going to require 25 or 30 amps even at
220 volts.

(Yes, I'm quite well aware that the defined conversion is 745.7 watts per
horsepower.  But electric motors are inefficient in many different ways and I'm
talking about "real world" requirements.)

Randall