Re: Sandblasting Equipment

To: "Triumphs Digest (triumphs-digest@autox.team.net)"
Subject: Re: Sandblasting Equipment
From: "Heglund, Davis (MN17)" <davis.heglund@honeywell.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:24:00 -0700
Bought my compressor and blasting pot a couple years ago. 60 gal, 5hp 220V,
11cfm@90psi, and wished I'd gone bigger. For big jobs, like body panels, it
can't keep up with the continuous use, and the pressure drops significantly.
I have a small 3 (?) cfm, 2gal unit that I hook in parallel for a little
extra oomph. Seems to help.  Bought the 40lb pot from Harbor Freight. Works
OK. Holds enough media that I'm ready for a break when it goes empty.
My point is:  get the biggest compressor you can afford, if you want to
blast parts of any size.
I have blasted the hood  ('scuse me, bonnet) of a GT6 without warping
anything, using Black Beauty. It's good stuff, no silica, can be re-used a
couple times, and I feel good about recycling a waste product (it's made
from coal slag). The GT6 bonnet has enough structure to allow blasting.
Don't think I'd do the hood of my F150 with it - probably wrinkle up like
foil.
Dave H   '69 GT6