Re: Transmission oil

To: Ted <triumphcars@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission oil
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:33:03 -0800
Get another mechanic - antifreeze is not as good a heat conductor as water.
 Water with nothing added is actually the best for heat transfer in
automotive systems, but adding a good anti rust or corrosion inhibitor is
also recommended to prevent corrosion.  If you must use antifreeze, to
prevent freezing (or raise the boiling point) of the water, then use no
more than 50/50 mix - anything more will result in a loss of cooling
efficiency.  There is absolutely NO advantage to using antifreeze other
than preventing freezing and corrosion and/or also raising the boiling
point of the mix- using more than 50/50 mix is not only throwing away
money, but also asking for trouble, especially in a marginal cooling system -

Back to tranny oil - I have been running Redline's oil (specifically for
older gearboxes) in my Spitfire 1500 transmission with a J-Type and it
works just fine, although I noticed that you can beat the synchros if you
shift quickly.  This is with a newly rebuilt 1500 box 8-)I am hoping that
things will wear in but I have my doubts...
>Speaking of antifreeze.  Quick question for these sleeved engines and
cooling...

>My local mechanic recommends running pure antifreeze in any and all
>cars.  Not only does he believes running 50/50 is a gimmick that leads
>to a need to more quickly change coolant, but he believes it causes so
>harm to the engine.
>
>As we near winter thaw, is it best to put pure antifreeze in these
>engines, or just water??

Barry Schwartz (San Diego)