RE: Transmission oil

To: "'Bob Rochlin'" <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Transmission oil
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:41:02 -0500
Bob,
I've been using Redline MTL 75-80 for going on 11 years now and the only
leak I've had was from the O rings on the shifting rods. I feel certain
they would have leaked whether I had motor oil or transmission oil in
the transmission as they were pretty hard and flattened out. With new O
rings I've experienced no new leaks.
I still maintain engine lubricants and transmission lubricants have
different shear characteristics due to different additives in each and
should not be exchanged. Seems that if motor oil is interchangeable with
transmission lubricant then one should be able to pour Castrol 90 wt in
the crankcase with no ill effects. The only time I am personally aware
of anyone trying that neat trick ruined an engine. No, it wasn't me, but
I did stand curiously by and watched.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO