RE: TR3A OD speedometer

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A OD speedometer
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:41:03 -0800
> Just finishing up the OD installation on my TR3A, that means trying to
> connect the speedometer cable. I did get a new one, longer length, but still
> don't seem to have enough to make it around. I've got it going through the
> floor board, back through a hole in the frame member, over the top of the
> bell housing, and then back through the same grommet that the tach cable
> happens to go through in the firewall, but it is still short a few inches. I
> tried the archives, 'cause I know that was adressed before, but I couldn't
> find anything specific - "just over the top of the transmission"

The factory routing had the cable crossing over on the little shelf in front of
the battery (little clip in the middle), then going down the bulkhead/firewall
on the right side and back along the inside of the RH frame rail.  ISTR there's
a clip on the frame rail somewhere.  Big, sweeping curve towards the
transmission, then up through the floorboard hole for the handbrake lever and
through the channel in the handbrake boot, the hole in the trans tunnel and onto
the OD.  Mine chafed where it went through the floorboard, so I slit a length of
rubber hose and slid over it as a buffer.

The TR2-3B LHS OD speedo cable is a LOT longer than the non-OD, something like
96" versus 63" as I recall.

Randall