Re: Mystery bracket from Spitfire

To: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>, triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mystery bracket from Spitfire
From: Jim <cartr4a@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:46:07 -0800 (PST)
Come on Eric, you didn't really pull that engine and clean it up...did you?
Your hands are too clean!...;-)

My hands haven't looked like that in 10 years!

Jim
'67 TR-4A
'68 GT6
'73 Spit6
http://www.geocities.com/britishiron2000

"Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl> wrote:
I know this question would be more appropriate on the Spitfires list, but
I'm not subscribed to that and this one is busy enough as it is, so I hope
you'll forgive me for asking this here.

I pulled the engine out of my Spitfire 1500 a few weekends ago. While
cleaning away the ancient crud covering the frame and suspension turrets,
I excavated a bracket, lying on the frame, on the inside of the right-hand
suspension turret (carb/exhaust side of the engine). After cleaning, it
looks like this:

http://triumphspitfire.nl/images/mysterybracket.jpg
http://triumphspitfire.nl/images/mysterybracket2.jpg

It's 2-1/4" long, bent at an angle of about 120 degrees, with 1/8" and
3/8" holes in it. It has remnants of body colour paint on all sides -
there's even paint on the inside of the large hole.

At first it looked to me like something to hook up a throttle return
spring to, but it can't be, since the later twin SU's have return springs
on the shaft. I've been through all my parts books and catalogues and I
just can't place this bracket.

Anyone?

Eric
(more than ten inches of snow here - can't believe I drove the TR with the
top down six weeks ago)

--
'57 TR3A TS23315L
'76 Spit FH88257L - engine out