Re: rear suspension messed with?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear suspension messed with?
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:03:38 EST
Hi Paul,

I'm not 100% certain if you are asking about the front mounting or rear
mounting for the rear leaf springs.

The front mounting is a single, large rubber/metal bushing that's a pretty
tight press fit into the spring, slides onto the bolt/pin that's attached to
the
frame (use some copper anti-seize on that when reinstalling, to help it come
apart easier the next time). The front should be held in place by a D-washer,
castle nut and cotter pin.

The rear spring shackles use a total of eight identical bushings.Often the
old rubber ones are seriously mis-shapen after many years in the car. Some of
the ones on my car were pretty unrecognizable when I removed them. The urethane
variety will hold their shape and last a lot longer. Be sure to use new nylok
nuts on the shackles. A little Locktite on the threads wouldn't hurt either.

Yes, the rear axle rubber buffers are simply held in place with wire that's
twisted tight. I got a small roll of heavy weight, galvanized or zinc plated
wire from a local hardware store and made my own, but the TR vendors will sell
you a short piece of wire, if you prefer.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm

Today I worked on my rear suspension (and used manuals, BTW).  The leaf
spring's front attachment was much harder than I thought to remove the spring.
Even when I got it off I noticed that the new supposedly correct
rubber/urethane bushings from TRF were not large enough.  However, these
bushings did fit the rear attachment for the leaf spring.  This made me think
that perhaps the PO had messed with the rear suspension.
    IOW, the rear spring bushing kit sent to me from TRF contained 8 of the
same (urethane?) bushings.  Why, then, does my car need two different sizes?

Also, I took off the old rear axle buffers which had been 'wired' on the rear
axle.  Is this the way things are suppose to be?

I have yet to have my car running!  Someday soon!
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A