RE: Compressor water separator

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <FGFO1@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Compressor water separator
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:37:20 -0500
Frank,
If you don't laugh I will tell you what I did and it works quite well. I was
running into the same problem using a sand blaster last summer on my TR4A. I
live in the midwest and the humidity was a killer last summer.
What I did was to pick up a coil of 3/8" copper pipe (I think it was 20')at
Home Depot and plumbed it in series between my air compressor and the dryer.
Get your self a 5 gallon plastic bucket and put the coil inside the bucket.
Fill the bucket up with ice and wait 5 minutes or so to chill the copper
pipe.
The chilled pipe cools the compressed air which in turn makes it denser. The
dryer efficiency goes way up... In fact, be ready to empty the dryer quite
often.
I have a picture of my "Chiller" on my website
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a.
Go to "Prep, Prime, Paint", then "Sandblaster".
By the way, I used a Campbell Hausfeld HVLP paint sprayer to do my primer
and didn't have any problems with water. The finish was decent for primer
but I wouldn't recommend one for your final finish.
Dave Connitt