Re: axle dust cap

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: axle dust cap
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:38:05 -0500
There must be some differences in dust cap construction or how they fit in the
hub. My original
stock dust caps were in there hard engough that I can't imagine machine threads
or threads of any
kind being stronger than the resistance of the dust cap rim.

I tried a 10-32 self tapping screw as well as very coarse sheet metal screw
threads on my slide
hammer, and the treads ripped out long before the cap gave any hint of coming
out. The only thing
that worked for me was to drive a screw driver through the dust cap edge and
pry it out. Even then
it took some prying and leverage and I had to drive the screwdriver through on
two sides. I can't
imagine threads of any kind through the thin dust cap material being strong
enough.

I will try adding a nut on the inside of the replacement dust cap. Other list
members have had
success with using JB Weld on the nut. I'll try that. I don't have my mig yet.
All I have is a
Lincoln tombstone arc welder, and I don't think it's quite the right tool for a
dust cap. :-)

What on earth is wrong with a pry lip on the dust cap rim -- makes you wonder.

Don Malling