RE: fuel pump rebuild '59 TR3

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: fuel pump rebuild '59 TR3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:01:26 -0800
> Friend of mine has a smashingly handsome TR3 that needs the original AC
> fuel pump rebuilt.
> Is it as straightforward as my 6's pump?

Yes, but there are some parts that are hard to find (and most likely not in
the kit).  One is the shaft seal, which isn't all that critical, you can
just reuse the old one (or leave it out entirely).  It's main function is to
reduce how much fuel gets into the crankcase when the diaphragm fails.
(Might also have extended the life of the original diaphragms, but modern
diaphragms won't be harmed by exposure to crankcase fumes.)

The other thing is the compression sleeve that goes on the outlet pipe.
Reuse the old one if you can.

If the rebuild kit comes with a cork gasket for the sediment bowl, you might
consider getting a sheet of nitrile rubber (Buna-N) and cutting one from
that.  The modern cork ones don't seem to seal very well.

Randall