Re: TR3 valve adjustment

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 valve adjustment
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:20:44 -0500
On Wednesday 23 March 2005 10:05 pm, Paul Dorsey wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm several weeks away from ever having had my TR3 running, so I also want
> to learn how to adjust valves!
>
> It seems as if the method Randall describes is most accurate cause 180
> degrees opposite the TDC can be measured exactly.  Whereas, "the nine rule"
> isin't as accurate because one has to make a judgement call as to when each
> valve is fully open by oberving ether the valve stems or through the spark
> plug hole.
>
> Am I right or wrong about this?
>
> Thanks, Paul Dorsey
> 60 TR3A

Paul,

I have been adjusting my TR3A valves while the engine is running on a very
slow idle after the engine is at full running temp. I dont remember were I
saw or read this but it has always worked for me. It takes a bit of practice
and it is an oily dirty job.

BTW, 7 inches of new snow on the ground this morning but it was all gone by
the time I returned from work!

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1963 TR4