Re: TR3 valve adjustment

To: Harlyred1@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3 valve adjustment
From: Kurtis Jones <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:56:25 -0600
Terry,

I use the "nine rule" when adjusting my valves.  For example, when the
number 1 valve is fully open, you should be able to adjust the number
8 valve, when the number 2 valved is open, adjust the number 7 valve.
The idea is that the open valve number and the valve being adjusted
add up to 9.

As you noted, they open in pairs.  I have no idea off hand what the
sequence is.  I usually just remove the valve cover and spark plugs,
put the car in fourth gear, and start rolling it by pushing on the
front wheel until a valve opens, then start from there and keep
rolling it forward until I've checked all the valves or hit the wall
in the back of my garage. <grin>  I never really pay any attention to
what cylinder I'm on.  Just take the number of the valve that's down
(open) and subtract it from 9 and adjust that valve (numbered 1
through 8 from front to back).

I hope this helps!

--
Kurtis Jones