RE: motor oils

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: motor oils
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:05:07 -0800
> On 28 Mar 2005 at 11:54, Randall wrote:
>
> > I live near the desert and sometimes drive where it's really hot (115F
> > in the shade).  Where I live isn't as hot, but it still never freezes.
> > I use only Valvoline full synthetic 20W50 in all my Triumphs.
>
> Would you recommend the same viscosity for those of us who live in
> lesser climes, given that driving in freezing temp is rare?

Tough call.  If you drive in primarily under 80F temps, I might try 10W30
(next lower viscosity that Valvoline offers in full synthetic) and see how
the oil pressure holds up when the engine is hot.

I probably should have added that all my Triumph engines are well-worn.
Maybe someday I'll get around to actually rebuilding one again, but my last
full rebuild was in 1976 or so.

Randall