RE: Electric fan thermostat part number

To: "Triumph Email List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electric fan thermostat part number
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:05:44 -0700
> NAPA did list the part, under their part number, but it is now a special
> order item.  I don't know how often something like this would fail, but
> would prefer the part to be an off the shelf item.

Ashford, I think you'll have a real problem with that.  The vast majority of
modern cars don't turn on their fans until quite a bit hotter, generally around
200F or even higher.  This is to increase fuel mileage, since it takes power to
turn the fan and it might not be required at the lower temps.

However, you could look for the fan switch from a Turbo Buick Regal, it might be
on the shelf in a few places.  But my local store had to order it for me.

> So, all you guys running electric fans on their TR6's or whatever, what did
> you use as a screw-in thermostat, that operates between 180-185F?

The other alternative would be one of the aftermarket adjustable controllers.
They generally have  a probe that should be installed either in the radiator
fins (like the DeRale unit I bought for my Stag), or inside a radiator hose.
However, I suspect the probe could be clamped to the outside of one of the metal
tubes on a Triumph and still work well.  Also, I see Hayden offers an adjustable
with a screw-in probe, P/N 3651 Kit.
http://www.haydenauto.com/assets/2005Haydencat.pdf

Randall