Re: obscure TR4 question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: obscure TR4 question
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:13:48 EDT
Hi Jay,
   I just took a peek at the dash support bracket in my '62 TR4 and it has
the same hole you describe, about 1/4" diameter and centered maybe 3/8" from
the
bottom where the bracket abuts the gearbox cover. I have no idea what it was
ever used for, certainly nothing on my car in the time I've owned it (since
about 1977). The hole isn't plugged with rubber or anything on my car.
   Who knows! Perhaps a previous owner added the rubber plug to yours, or the
plug is missing from mine. (I've added plugs to various unused holes over the
years, such as a blanking plug in the crank hole in the front valance.)
   Does anyone know of another car that used the TR-style dash brace? I
don't. But perhaps the hole was used in another application. I can see where it
would be a good location to fasten a trim that fits around the shift boot, or
similar. Maybe this was done in some European or other market where different
regulations require something. (I.e., different headligths , license plate
light
fixtures, signal bulbs and lenses were used in various countries, to meet
local requirements.)
   Enjoy the trip to Branson. I'm going to the Hayward Field Meet (here in
the S.F. Bay Area) tomorrow. Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L
On my late '64 TR4 (owned since '67), on the center line of the floor to
dash bracket, [# 806506, bracket, support, fascia to floor assembly, in
the Parts Manual] just below the 3 heater controls - just above the GBX
cover, there is a hole w/ a rubber blanking plug about 1/4 inch (6.35
mm) in diameter.  Does anyone have any idea what the purpose of this
blanked-off hole might be?