RE: TR3A Flasher Lamp Assembly

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Flasher Lamp Assembly
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 07:55:15 -0700
> Is there an easy way to assemble the chrome ring, lens and rubber
> body of the small circular "flasher" lamps for the TR3A? I have
> already broken one lens when I let go of it thinking thinking I had
> succeeded in inserting the ring fully into the rubber body. At least
> I learned to provide something soft for the bits to land on when they
> fall apart!

First of all, the ring does not retain the glass, it's just for looks.  The
glass should be held directly by the rubber.

Neither one is hard to put in, but the process is a bit difficult to describe.
I use a small (1/8" or 3/16") flat screwdriver to help.  Start with the glass,
and position one side (I usually start at the bottom but it doesn't really
matter) under the rubber lip.  I'm right handed, so I use my left hand to apply
pressure to the glass, then with my right hand slide the blade of the
screwdriver between the glass and the rubber, and work it around to pull the
rubber lip out from under the glass and let it fall back onto the glass.
Generally I finish by turning the glass a bit, to see that it turns easily
(meaning no part of the rubber lip is still trapped under it); then gently pull
on the glass to see that it won't come off easily.

Then repeat the process with the chrome ring, except I feel around it to see
that the rubber is in place over the edge of the ring.

Only takes a couple of seconds, once you learn to do it.

Also, I use silicone spray to keep the rubber soft and pliable.  If yours has
gotten hard and started to crack, best to replace it.  Replacements are
available at TRF, et al.

Randall