Re: filling is draining me

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: filling is draining me
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:29:14 EDT
In a message dated 6/21/2005 6:09:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:

> case is the classic dissimilar metal reaction between a  steel
> plug and an alloy
> gearbox case.

Can't say that's  wrong, but I've seen some really tight ones that didn't
have any signs of  corrosion.  IMO it's more likely to be a side effect of
the  differential expansion of the dissimilar metals, and the tapered nature
of  the plug.

======
Makes sense to me as well. Of course, there's always the overzealous  DPO who
felt that if tight was good, then really tight thanks to a 3-ft.  breaker bar
was better. ;-)
======

> Maybe  some propane torch heat?

Would definitely  help, IMO.  Heating the case will cause it to expand faster
than the  plug.  But don't get too carried away, or you'll char the oil left
on  the inside of the case.  A regular propane torch probably wouldn't get  it
that hot, but be careful with that OA flame.

======
Never owned anything hotter than propane!
======

> The equally obvious (to me) solution is not  necessarily in a
> different  style
> of plug, but in  lubricating or coating the threads of a new plug with a
> "never seize"  compound.

Like the Teflon pipe dope I already suggested ?

======
Exactly! :-)
======

> And maybe removing and replacing the plug
> more  often?  ;-)

Well ... maybe ... but be honest, how long has it been  since you've had the
fill plug out of ALL your Triumphs  ?
<g>
Not to mention all the gearboxes stored in the rafters ...  got a few of
those myself.

======
Again, I readily admit that most of my experience is with the cast iron
gearbox cases of the small Triumphs, although I've encountered a few tight
sump
drain plugs, probably due to that 3-ft. extension.

Truth is, I've long used nothing more than a conventional 12-point, 1/2"  box
wrench on these plugs. Works just fine if the square head hasn't been
mutilated.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man:  Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald  engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's  Flying Circus (22)

Check out the North American Triumph  Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)