Re: filling is draining me

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: filling is draining me
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:11:51 EDT
_mhooper@digiscreen.ca_ (mailto:mhooper@digiscreen.ca)   writes:

Somehow  or when the side fill plug on my TR6's transmission got so tightly
wedged  it isn't real. I'm just trying to change the gearbox oil. Every wrench
I've  got just keeps slipping. Is there a special trick to this? A  square
wrench?

=======
No one seems to have yet mentioned what is the likely cause for this  problem
to begin with. Correct me if I'm all wrong (it happens...a lot!), but I
suspect that the main reason for these plugs getting "stuck" in the TR gearbox
case is the classic dissimilar metal reaction between a steel plug and an alloy

gearbox case. I've never much seen this problem on the steel sump or cast
iron  gearbox case of a Herald or Spitfire (all using the same square-head
plug),
but  I have experienced it while trying to get a good plug off a junk TR
gearbox  case; that plug isn't so "good" any more, and it's still on that case.
Maybe  some propane torch heat? Lots and lots of Kroil or PB Blaster?

The equally obvious (to me) solution is not necessarily in a different  style
of plug, but in lubricating or coating the threads of a new plug with a
"never seize" compound. And maybe removing and replacing the plug more often?
;-)

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and Triumph Herald
Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)