Re: more TR6 brake issues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: more TR6 brake issues
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:43:00 -0400
BearTranserv@aol.com wrote:

> Randall, this seems to conflict with what I have heard on other  lists.
> While DOT 5 is not water soluble, and will not absorb water like  the other
> fluids, any water that accumulates in the MC and makes it's way to the  brake
>lines
> can linger there a separate bubbles of water and rust the components  from
>the
> inside out.

It's my understanding that water absorbed in DOT 3/4 not a problem. The problem
is caused by the
water that is not absorbed. That is, when the DOT 3/4 absorbs enough moisture
to become saturated,
then the rest becomes liquid and rusts the brake system components. Since the
DOT 3/4 becomes
saturated in a few months, it seems there isn't any difference (in that
respect) between, silicone
and DOT 3/4.

The absorption thing also beings up a point that has always troubled me. Why
are the DOT 3/4
manufacturers so hyper about not using fluid from a once opened can. The MC is
vented to the
atmosphere, so it absorbs moisture until it's saturated anyway. Seems after a
couple of months the
DOT 3/4 in car has a lot more moisture in it than a can that was opened for a
few seconds and
resealed. I understand there is now air in the can, but there is air in the MC
as well and it's vented.

Don Malling