Two TR Brake ?'s - Dust & Pressure

To: Triumph Email List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Two TR Brake ?'s - Dust & Pressure
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:01:21 -0700
Hi Folks,

The TR4A is now 3 years AR (after restoration). After not driving the
car for 18 years while it was in storage, my memory gets a little vague
about some things at times. I don't seem to remember these two issues as
being as predominate as they are now.

1. While the brake dust seems to be acceptable it does cause some
squealing (squeaking) while running. I cleaned the calipers, pads and
plates and the squealing went away, but only for a month or so. It now
squeals while going 45 MPH down a straight road. The brake fluif level
is as original after restoration - maybe slightly down but only a half
inch. The fluif seems normal, but the squeal doesn't. At one time I
thought it was wheel bearings, but they're adjusted right on the money -
maybe even a wee bit tight.

2. When first starting out after a break, the brake pedal travel is much
more than after I press it once. During the restoration I replaced the
brake pipes all around, am running Dot 5 and the system has no
restrictor (as original). It's a little scary, especially for my wife
when she drives the car, but for me as well, especially if an emergency
stop is needed after not using the brakes for awhile, such as traveling
long distances.

So, heres the questions .....

a.  Should a brake squeal adhesive, such as that used on American
vehicles (the blue goo), be benificial to reduce the squeal? The manuals
don't mention anything. Will switching to the "green" pads help the dust
and thus the squeal problem?

b. The pedal travel is probably caused by the calipers/cylinders
relaxing too far. It probably has an effect in making the squeal as
well. So, will adding a restrictor cure both problems? Note: the older
TR configurations have a restrictor at the rear, not the front.

Ideas, suggestions, BS?

Thanks!
John