Re: Clutch still slipping...

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Clutch still slipping...
From: "Kurtis" <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 22:26:36 -0500
> The important thing here is that there is some free play in the slave
> linkage.  You should be able to pull the lever away from the slave
> cylinder
> by hand (against the return spring) and note that the push rod becomes
> slightly loose.

I can... sort of... That's the 1/4" play I was referring to.  But one
problem is that the slave cylinder seems to offer a small amount of
resistance.  After the clutch pedal is released, I can actually push the rod
into the slave cylinder approximately 1/4".  The spring will hold it at that
point, but will not return the lever to that position on its own due to the
slight resistance.

> Not sure I understand.  If you're saying you've got 1/4" of play in one of
> the pivots then no, that's not normal at all.  Should be more like a few
> thousandths.

See above.  There is no free play in the exterior pivot points.

>>  When the clutch pedal is pressed and released, the small
>> return spring on the pushrod will not return the pivot arm back
>> to the full
>> engaged stop side of the 1/4" play (if that makes sense at all).
>
> Are you talking about the slave or the master ?

I'm referring to the slave cylinder here.

> I'm thinking that perhaps you have so much lost motion in the linkage,
> that
> properly adjusting the slave pushrod results in not enough movement at the
> throw-out bearing.  Probably not as likely as there being something wrong
> inside the bellhousing (like a broken taper pin), but worth looking into
> IMO
> as it would be a whole lot easier to fix.

That's certainly encouraging... <grin>  but kind of what I figured.  About
how much travel should there be on the slave cylinder pushrod when the
clutch pedal is depressed?  Mine seems to travel about an inch.

Thanks for your help Randall.

Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4 - CT19389L