RE: Clutch still slipping...

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch still slipping...
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:18:52 -0700
> > The important thing here is that there is some free play in the slave
> > linkage.  You should be able to pull the lever away from the slave
> > cylinder
> > by hand (against the return spring) and note that the push rod becomes
> > slightly loose.
>
> I can... sort of... That's the 1/4" play I was referring to.

Ah, I misunderstood.

> After the clutch pedal is released, I can actually
> push the rod
> into the slave cylinder approximately 1/4".  The spring will hold
> it at that
> point, but will not return the lever to that position on its own
> due to the
> slight resistance.

That isn't right, but it seems fairly unlikely it's the problem.  If you
crack the bleed valve, will the spring return the slave piston ?  If so,
that indicates a problem with the master cylinder, that might well also be
the cause of your clutch slipping when it's hot.  But if the spring is just
too weak to overcome the friction in the slave, and you can still push the
piston in by hand, it's not the main problem IMO.

> About
> how much travel should there be on the slave cylinder pushrod when the
> clutch pedal is depressed?  Mine seems to travel about an inch.

That should be plenty.  It only takes about 5/8" from the time the TOB
touches the clutch (IOW as far to the rear as you can move the lever by
hand) to release the clutch.

Randall