RE: Engine diagnostocs help (tr4)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine diagnostocs help (tr4)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:44:03 -0700
> I can
> measure compression "dry" at 130- 115 - 120 - 120. so that makes
> me feel a
> little more positive.

Indeed, that's pretty good, only about 7% plus or minus.

> In the checking of all the engine components I find that there is
> some play
> in the fan hub, I can turn it not all that much but lets guess without
> measurement about 5 deg. Is this excessive play in the crank
> shaft that I am
> seeing.

Unlikely to be the crank itself, IMO.  Have you checked out the rubber
bushings for the fan ?  They could cause both the looseness and the
rattle/knock.  If the hub/extension itself is turning, then I would suspect
either the bolts that hold the extension to the hub, or that the hub is
loose on the crank.

My loose hub had apparently rubbed the nose of the crank undersize ... so
it's now mounted with Loctite.  Works quite well, although a bit harder to
remove.  Not impossible, but it took a proper puller to get it off while
before I could just pull it off by hand.

Randall