Re: clutch comments

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch comments
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:34:30 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 10:19 AM

> Hi Jack,
>
> Just some curious comments from an amateur....
>
> Did you use the two locating pins when you attached the bell housing to
> the engine?
>
> Which brand clutch and pressure plate did you use?
>
> Which brand T/O bearing?

Don-
    I have tried TRF's "Magic" clutch and now the new trendy "Gunst" T/O
bearing. Here's my 2 cents worth......
    First the disclaimer. I am not traditionally tough on clutches. Have
driven standards all my life (30 years driving). I have never worn out a
clutch. I have no financial interest in any vendors for our LBC's. With that
been said................
    *TRF Magic clutch kit: Worked fine, drove it for about 9K miles. Clutch
pedal effort about the same as stock. Pulled the motor (another long sad
story) and found that the Toyota T/O bearing supplied with the kit had worn
serious grooves in the pressure plate (also supplied with the kit) fingers.
I would estimate that in 20K miles it would've worn completely through the
pressure plate fingers. I did not have any additional pressure on the T/O
bearing and I do not "ride" a clutch. All adjustments were within specs.
    *Gunst: After talking with British Parts NW, I decided to try their
Gunst setup. They supplied a Delco clutch and PP with a "Gunst" T/O bearing.
I installed it this past spring and have since put 1500 miles on it. Almost
immediately the T?O bearing started squealing while in neutral. I solved
that by adding a light spring to the clutch fork bracket and the frame. This
put some light pressure on the T?O bearing and allowed it to stay in contact
with the rotating PP. So far so good. The pedal effort is still about what
the original was. The jury (in my mind) is still out on the Gunst setup. I
personally would not put the Magic kit in any of my cars again seeing what I
saw after just 9K miles.
YMMV-
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6