Re: Auto Paints

To: Jim Muller <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Subject: Re: Auto Paints
From: James Ruffner <jar@aldermanroad.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:40:17 -0400
Jim Muller wrote:

>On 17 Sep 2005 at 14:37, Just Brits wrote:
>

>>Fot YEARS, ambulances, rescue vehicles & some fire appartus where
>>painted with it.  Only Emron was better.
>>

>I don't know paints but I recognize the name Emron, which I remember
>spelled as Imron.  It was, perhaps still is, used on high-end
>bicycles.  It needed to be baked to achieve its supposedly great
>properties.  Maybe Emron and Imron are different, but if not I would
>wonder how it was baked onto rescue vehicle bodies.  It was also (so
>I heard) toxic or environmentally unfriendly.

I think it is "Imron." and was on of the first polyurethane paints by
Dupont.  Highly touted for its durability, but all depended upon, as you
implied with the baking, how it was applied.  As a rule, for most shops,
after about a year, it just lifted off the car in big sheets.  In my
experience with auto paints, the best was Martin-Senoir, the worst,  all
types of  Dupont.  However, it has been a number of years since I was
directly involved, and there have been a number of new paint brands.

One of these is Sikkens, which is German, is sworn by, by the guy who
has repainted three cars for me:  TR-6, BMW 635, and a Honda Accord
coupe.  All had flawless finishes, and the BMW and Honda looked as good,
if not better. Also, this paint shop, which is a very small operation,
does supurb  work.