RE: Lucas Vs. Clear Hooters

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lucas Vs. Clear Hooters
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:10:29 -0700
> Can anyone give me the stamped Lucas ID model numbers for TR4-A and/or TR250
> and/or TR6 horns?

I don't know if the numbers would be stamped on the horn, but here's what's
listed in some of my Lucas catalogs :

62 TR4  54068018/54068019
        replacement     54068009/54068008

67 TR4A 54068078/54068079        (both replacements, so I guess originals were
Clear
Hooter)

68 TR250        no listing for horns

69 TR6  54068078/54068164         (both replacements)
71 TR6  ditto

> I'm hoping to get louder
> Lucas horns without wiring in a relay.

As usual, I'd suggest doing a little research first.  Namely, how much voltage
under load is getting delivered to your horns.  Horns are a particularly nasty
load (high inductance means a big kickback when the contacts open) and Lucas
switches tend to be on the skimpy side, IMO.  I'd guess that switch life is the
reason Triumph went back to relays.

If they don't have to be Lucas, Hella makes some aftermarket horns that are
seriously loud.  They're painted bright red, but I don't see any reason you
couldn't repaint them.

Randall