RE: Lucas Vs. Clear Hooters

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Lucas Vs. Clear Hooters
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:56:02 EDT
Randall,
Seems you're right about Lucas numbers..
I dug up three Lucas 9H style horns to test directly on my car battery and
their stamped ID numbers seem to be Lucas 'date system' (week/year) followed by
their 'factory number' ie;
I have;
1) 12V 9 66  69158 B - marked H (sounds as soft as my Clear Hooter H)
2) 12V 47 72  69157 D  - marked L (sounds as soft as my Clear Hooter L)
3) 12V 50 85  69219 A - marked H (and loud!)

>> I'd guess that 'switch life' is the reason Triumph went back to relays. <<

I could agree with that.. and maybe their weak grounding system..

>> If they don't have to be Lucas, Hella makes some aftermarket horns that are
seriously loud.. Randall <<

..reminds me of the time I put a big ole 1970's GM station-wagon horn unit in
the TR4 .. unfortunately it made my TR4 sound like a big ole 1970's GM
station-wagon!! ugh!

I think TR4-As and TR6s might have a loud enough 'British voice' ..
could someone give me Lucas numbers right off their oe TR4A/6 horns?

Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74