Re: ebay liars?

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ebay liars?
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:45:21 -0400
Hoyt wrote:

> On Saturday 17 September 2005 19:25, Don Malling wrote:
>
>>Pay with PayPal and use a credit card. PayPal won't help, but Visa will.
>>

> After $1,000 in purchases via PayPal with a credit card, they will require
>you
> to "verify" your account with a checking account number (and can't explain to
> you how this "verifies" anything), which becomes the default payment source
> for you. The real reason: a direct debit to your checking is cheaper for
> PayPal than a merchant bankcard fee. There's no way to make the cc the
> default source after the fact (you _can_ do it manually each time).

True... just click on the credit card source rather than the bank account. Not
a big deal in my opinion.

>>You can usually get your money back if you . . .
>

> Always a lot of hassle, like filing for insurance claims. Most consumers
>never
> figure out the procedure until after they need the service and then realize
> that they are "missing" a required document or notification, or have missed a
> deadline date.

All I do with Visa is write a letter to explain the situation and send them a
copy of the post
office return receipt form to prove I returned the merchandise. Again, not a
big deal in my mind.
It's not as if you're doing it every day. The protest dead line is 60 days
after the date of the
Visa bill in which the item appears. Seems reasonable to me. They credit your
account immediatly and
then invite the seller to explain his side of it. Again, in my experience, the
big point is whether
you returned the merchandise and can prove it. They kind'a don't care about
much else -- it turns
into "he said, she said" for them. If you sent it back -- case closed.

It's the same proceduce one would use protesting something with a merchant
through Visa.

What are the alternatives?

Don Malling